Sunday, October 2, 2016

Confederate Flag Argument, an Analysis.

Recent media light in the past couple of years has surrounded the controversy of the Confederate Flag. After the Charleston shootings, many in South Carolina demanded that the confederate flag be taken down from a main flag pole. These remarks fueled many to start talking about how the confederate flag was racist. On the opposing side, some believe that the confederate flag symbolizes a past heritage.

In my opinion, I do think the confederate flag should not be hung up anywhere. I also do think it implies many racist tones. But I would like to take my bias out of this argument. When I searched online for articles retaining to the confederate flag, I got more or less the news coverage I had already heard. Since I wanted to hear the opposing argument, I found two bias articles, one published by the washington post and another by a very non-reputable website, more of a blog you could say. In the blog, written by a man named Tim Moore, he explains that the civil war didn't focus on slavery as it more did on the union and tensions between the North and South. In the Washington post article, Byron Thomas, an african american student at the University of south Carolina, states that the "Confederate flag isn’t racist." Saying that one of his ancestors was a cook for the confederate army. 




Although it is true that the civil war did not surround slavery, that does not mean it wasn't a huge component to the end. Slavery in many ways caused tensions between the North and the South. To say that confederate soldiers weren't fighting to free slaves "technically" is like saying that people who go to Chick-filla "technically" don't know they serve chicken. That was probably a bad analogy, but I digress. The concept of the confederate flag is an outdated one. And although I think it is important to look at every situation from both sides, my bias has the best of me, and in this case I believe we shouldn't use the confederate flag anymore.

Bibly : http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/olsouth/aintracist.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/24/i-am-a-black-south-carolinian-heres-why-i-support-the-confederate-flag/?utm_term=.9041393c477d
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Confederate_Rebel_Flag.svg/2000px-Confederate_Rebel_Flag.svg.png

3 comments:

  1. I do agree with what you said. Although many do not think that the Confederate flag represent racism, it truly does have a negative and racist connotation that will never disappear. We should not use the Confederate flag and look away from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog bout the mixed view of the Confederate flag. I feel like the flag, although it may give off a tone of racism, is defended by many because of the 1st Amendment, the freedom of speech. Looking at some articles myself, the main question that surfaced a lot was whether the hanging of the Confederate flag on public buildings was "morally right?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that southerners don't deserve to hang the flag because it symbolizes a fractured nation based off of slave labor. Interestingly, I also knew someone whose ancestors were slaves under the confederate flag who want to keep their confederate heritage. It shocks me that people can embrace such a brutal history as their culture.

    ReplyDelete